Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Bring on the Tears


Bring on the tears…
Normally I try to hold back the tears in a work environment, but this week has brought out a different side of me.  Every day, I’ve cried.  Not a weepy cry but more glistening tears of pure joy and amazement.  This week, I’m spending all of my time in Barquisimeto in the special education program.  As many of you know, this is my huge interest in the field of El Sistema and what I hope to bring back to the United States. 
            So far, I’ve taken a class in sign language and musical Braille, observed a percussion ensemble for children with Down Syndrome, participated in rhythm band; which includes a large percentage of students with special needs, listened to a choir, and that’s just in about two afternoons.  Needless to say, this place is brimming with excitement and activity.  Barquisimeto is actually the central hub for special education in music in all of Venezuela.  It offers many workshops in teacher training, education, and about 10 or more ensembles in which students can participate.  It’s limitless.  There’s no such thing as a disability or a handicap but rather everyone has a different entry point.  It’s amazing to see how a student who is blind directs a choir of forty from behind his accompanist chair or how a child with a severe cognitive disability is playing Chopin beautifully.  The percussion ensemble and rhythm band were probably two of the most musical ensembles I’ve seen in El Sistema.  Resilience and tenacity shine in every child and I was just overcome by the passion, emotion, and energy of the room. For me, that meant tears.  As I told this to my close friend, Bekah, she replied, “Well see then you were meant for this!” And I believe she’s exactly right.  Often when we feel emotionally vulnerable usually that’s when everything falls into place.  So keep bringing on the tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment